Thursday, February 08, 2007

My mom

Who is she?
She was born in Jelutong, Pulau Pinang. Her childhood was not complete, as far as I can think of. I couldn't recall the time that she took to explain about her school days though she is as smart as anyone I have ever met. She had an averagely good life in Perak Road. In this area, if I recalled correctly, the house was nearby an old cinema and by the side was a small rubber plantation. The area was like trapped between a small town and a village. She was the only child in the family with no more than a few cousins. Finished her highschool, started to work in a government office and met my father, also an officer of the government. The rest was history.

My mother is stern: if I don't do my work then beware of the consequences. Confronting my father is the last thing I would want to do.

My mother is a merchant: clothes, jewelleries and stuff, are all conjured to become money. What ever means to churn money is tried for the sake of the family besides holding on to her job.

My mother is pragmatic: rather than hanging around with gossip mongers and gossip around, she would rather take care of the children and prepare food for tea time after a day at the office.

My mother is a caring person: every morning, she wakes me up: “Pray …”. I had better get up if I don't want to hear her lecture on how satan will piss on me if I continue to lie asleep. She still wake me up on my visit with my family. This ritual is difficult to forget, at least on her side. Or maybe she still regard me as her little boy.

My mother’s speech is magic: I am the youngest but far away from being spoilt. Though I have always try to explain myself with reasons and supporting facts, I still listen to her. During my study days I always come home during the weekend, a ritual that I still do now even though I am all grown up. My friends used to treat me in those days. They opted for work and I chose to further my education, that explains why they are giving the treat. My outing is abrupted when my mother asked do I have to go? The rest I think you know. What verses does she have? I don’t know.

My mother likes to explain: logic, consequences, cause and effect, negation, thesis, antithesis, combination, statistics and everything are few of her methods. One that she likes to do is to relate everything back to religion. I know for a fact that is the right thing to do.

My mother is quite active, still: she does not know to sit and relax. There are always things to do around the house, chores to finish. She always ask on what dish to prepare when I come and visit her. That is a part of her enjoyment when other people appreciate what she cooked.

People say that we do not know the true value of something until we lose it. That is why whenever possible I would remind her how much I love her and I just can't thank her enough for being my mother. Mak, you are the best.


Happy Birthday, Mak ... (11 Jun 1935 - present)

No comments: