Thursday, March 22, 2007

Internal Audit

For two days the Audit team and myself (I am one of the auditors) are going to conduct an audit process at my own faculty. Some people might say that is unfair because I may not reveal any dirty linen from one's own backyard to the public. However we auditors have our pledge after all I am also the university's auditor and answerable to the management.

As like other previous auditing days, I have to wait for my auditees to come. The cooperation is nothing to shout about. It seems everybody is afraid of being audited. I do not see any reason why they should shun the practice (audit) because auditing is all about doing the things accordingly to the procedure that you claimed you do and documented. Thats it! What are these people afraid of? The Audit's objective is to have improvement neither condem nor reprimand.

Unless they have been performing differently from what they documented. Well if that is the reason, and if it is justifiable, go ahead and change the procedures in the document to coincide with what you are currently practicing. That is permissible.

Unless they have NOT been performing at all. Though the procedures are the same with the practice, these people are scared because they have not properly follow the procedures. Basically they have not done their job.

The first day drags until half past five whereby the audit should be over at 5pm sharp. The reason being the delays caused by all the auditees and their unpreparedness. Some of the auditees are missing even though told to come, some dare not pick up the phone afraid of being called in, some called in sick, some say they are coming but do not show up and many other examples. They are basically not prepared and not ready. We know that most of the time the auditors are not welcomed. Who says you have to like us or like what we do but please cooperate in the process for the betterment of the faculty.

The second day is almost similar like the first day. I even get a snide remark plus a scolding from an auditee just because she had to wait for her turn to be interviewed by me. It was not deliberately done as I had call for auditees to come in at certain time. They fail to follow this and the time slot drags and overlap with the others. I did tell the auditee to come back after half an hour because of this but she did not turn up at all. Others understand my predicament but she is the only one with an attitude. If she cannot even control herself how can she expects to control her students! Luckily all the other auditors are behind me supporting all the way. The other thing that pleases me is that I had done a large portion of the report in the first day itself so just a little more typing to do and I am done.

Finally the auditing process is nearly over. The next one in August is conducted by a new team of auditors, if the word of the Head of the Audit System holds true. Hopefully it does so I can truly focus on my next agenda, my Phd.

2 comments:

daddy cool said...

audit yeah... relex sey.. jangan terlalu fokus.. ingat team... walau apepun, life must go on... forever.. peace

-Fitri Mohan- said...

i do wish you can focus on the next agenda. :D

btw, i'm sorry i don't know that you send me email. is that possible that your email might be considered as spammer or that kind of thing?

have a nice weekend.