Tuesday, March 20, 2007

English Proficiency Test

Yesterday I with so many other lecturers had to sit for an English Proficiency Test for University Academicians. It was a test cum survey conducted by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia with the cooperation of local Institutions of Higher Learning. It is a two day event for some and one of the many objectives is to gauge on the proficiency level of academicians in English in terms of communicating with students as well as in the classrooms. Before it started we were informed of the objectives and the likes. The announcer told us how lucky we were to be in the "disproportionate" (read disfortunate he he) random sampling group and took part in the survey at the national level. I have no qualms in this as I enjoyed it.

Today, it was infact this morning, I attended the second part of the survey which was the interview. I was the first to arrived, even before the interviewer not because I am all excited about this but rather because everybody else was late than scheduled. Went into the room and met one Associate Prof. Dr. Cyn. D. for 15 minutes. We talked about the challenges of lecturing, my research projects and the usual stuff in English of course. I don't have any problem with the language as far as I am concerned ...he...he... but the nervousness was there. It was because of the environment or the situation I was in. Anyway that was done and now I need to focus on the next item on the agenda which is the Auditing.

No comments: